AJAX and alternatives, was: Re: [FoRK] AJAX: Asynchronous JavaScript + XML

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 15:13:47 PST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:03:39 -0500, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> On the other hand, I don't think you can do the level of multimedia
> graphics and processing that this can:
>
> http://processing.org/
>
> Check out the BitTorrent simulation:
> http://aphid.org/btsim/
>
> I just found this and am impressed by it for a couple reasons.
> Hopefully they will open source it smoothly.

So is this effectively a slicker, potentially open flash? The website
is... a little cryptic.

> Among lightweight browser/thin client options, here is what I am
> interested in:
>
> AJAX - when I want most compatibility, very lightweight usability, and
> can live with Javascript
> Flash - for multimedia presentations and some kinds of applications
> (including chat probably)

FWIW, I've seen excellent chat clients (notably
http://jwchat.sourceforge.net/) in pure DHTML.

> It is very interesting how the XForms, XUL, XAML, and
> HTML+forms+scripting styles are evolving and competing.  The W3C
> presentation of XForms at the Plenary in Feb. was very impressive but I
> understand that the browser vendors (Mozilla, Opera, et al) are
> balking.

I believe Mozilla has a fairly decent xforms implementation as a plugin already:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xforms/#FeatureStatus

But yes, I do also believe they are already talking up a replacement.

> MS seems to be preparing for XAML-as-browser-replacement,
> which would be great for a Firefox/XUL/Java/OSS solution but scary from
> The untrustable Monopolist bad-boy of the IT world.

This scares me (as a free software developer) more than anything else
MS is doing. The web is /the/ killer app; if they succeed in patenting
it (which is basically what a XAML-based web would mean) then all
other OSs are DOA.

Luis