[FoRK] A deep and terrible sorrow that is unbearable...

Joe Barrera joe at barrera.org
Wed Mar 30 21:25:53 PST 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     [lbo-talk] Religious unity at last
Date:     Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:12:45 +0000
From:     Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com>
To:     lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

[The difference between The Onion and the NY Times has grown vanishingly
small.]

March 31, 2005

Clerics of 3 Faiths Protest Gay Festival Planned for Jerusalem

By LAURIE GOODSTEIN and GREG MYRE

International gay leaders are planning a 10-day WorldPride festival and
parade in Jerusalem in August, saying they want to make a statement about
tolerance and diversity in the Holy City, home to three great religious
traditions.

Now major leaders of the three faiths - Christianity, Judaism and Islam -
are making a rare show of unity to try to stop the festival. They say the
event would desecrate the city and convey the erroneous impression that
homosexuality is acceptable.

"They are creating a deep and terrible sorrow that is unbearable," Shlomo
Amar, Israel's Sephardic chief rabbi, said yesterday at a news
conference in
Jerusalem attended by Israel's two chief rabbis, the patriarchs of the
Roman
Catholic, Greek Orthodox and Armenian churches, and three senior Muslim
prayer leaders. "It hurts all of the religions. We are all against it." ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/31/international/worldspecial/31gay.html?hp&ex=1112245200&en=11a2ea65599b53f4&ei=5094&partner=homepage>

Well it is written, righteous mofos:  Though I speak with the tongues of
men
and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a
tinkling cymbal.  So get thee stuffed.

Carl