[FoRK] Recommendations / referrals to publishers?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Mar 31 11:00:11 PST 2005

I am much more serious this year about writing both technical and
non-technical books.

Technical books would fall into O'Reilly Nutshell like or deeper
research treatment.  More likely, the research side will just turn into
a paper to be submitted while the former would be an attempt to shake up
application development models.

The non-technical book might have a big audience depending on the size
of people opposed to or recoverying from the very popular book it is
opposing.

Do you know of and can you refer me to publishers/editors who are open
to these kinds of pitches or do you have other advice?

I already know better than to think of this as a direct source of
income; I have other reasons for wanting to publish certain things.

Comments on the viability and advisability of self/vanity/demand
publishing for different situations would be interesting.  (Better
margins potentially, lower barrier to publishing, almost no broad
visibility I suspect.)

With such a common name, I"ve also considered a nom de plume, but that's
probably not worth it.

Thanks!