[FoRK] Hey look kids, Kragen & Beatrice are in teh Wired!

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:43:14 PST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:21:35 -0700, Matt Jensen <mattj at newsblip.com> wrote:
> Luis, cool posts.  I'm interested n the line-sitter rules.  Note this quote from
> Wired:
>
> "People can be sent to the back of the line if they are caught swapping places
> with a hired line-stander at the last minute.

I saw or heard nothing of the sort.

> Those who pay the personal
> placeholders usually show up an hour or two before the court opens."

It was our understanding, from talking with some of the line sitters,
that it was customary for the new people to arrive at 7am, with ticket
handout at 8am. Not sure if that is because of rules, custom, or what.
As one of the posts I linked to mentioned, a large number of line
sitters (probably between 10 and 15) left shortly after 7 when their
payees did not arrive. That's the only reason I got in.

> That sounds like the Court (or the federal marshals, which control the crowd*)
> have specific rules about line sitters.  Did you hear any details about that?

They do have some rules (no tents, for example), but the SCOTUS police
force were fairly explicit that anything that happens before the
tickets are handed out (~8am) is Not Really Their Problem.

> And who on FoRK would like to offer a libertarian/free-market defense of the
> line-sitting industry, after Luis' posts?

Hehe. I'd be curious to see one; I have extensive experience in the
most bizarre line-sitting experience known to man, and have seen what
happens when line sitting goes wrong....

http://tieguy.org/tent/spring98/nando.html

Luis