[FoRK] AJAX: Asynchronous JavaScript + XML

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Mar 31 12:23:59 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 08:41:01AM -1000, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> To my mind SVG is the answer to the wrong question.  The plugins that make

SVG in plugins is dead in the water.

However, native SVG is coming (even though perhaps not to IE, yet), and this
is quite interesting for a number of niche applications. I couldn't care less
about flash, but rendering chemical structure formulas (CML2SVG transform)
and even interactive structure editors a la AJAX make total sense. (Don't
tell MDL).

> a difference will sit right on the trust boundary, helping clients and
> servers to manage trust interactions and then getting out of the way.
> For example, a plugin which did nothing but make file uploads secure and
> dependable for both servers and clients would have a profound impact.  The
> value is in bridging.

I understand most people see SVG as the open flash killer. Maybe, it's
compact, powerful, and nifty.