[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Karl Anderson kra at monkey.org
Mon Apr 11 16:19:12 PDT 2005

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> writes:

> Really now.  This whole anti-SUV thing (not talking about this thread,
> I'm just talking about the general trend) is a bit out of hand, isn't
> it?  I mean, it's just as much a religion as the theocratic schlock
> being peddled by the Reich.  Any laws enacted  that impact individual
> vehicle ownership --- not likely at this time, but probably inevitable
> when the pendulum swings back the other direction --- are as just as
> bad and egregious examples of tyrannical (psuedo-) populism by
> extremists as, say, pro-life legislation, etc. etc. etc.
>
> A commitment to freedom means a commitment to letting other people do
> things we don't like as long as they don't immediately and directly and
> *measurably* injure another person or their property.

Tailpipe emissions measurably injure other people.  You drive a
pigmobile, you pay for insurance that covers when you smash into
somebody, that's great.  Tailpipe emissions *measurably* cause more
deaths and injuries than crashes do, however - are you paying for
that?

SUV owners tend to whine about how they're just trying to be free and
patriotic and spend their money however they damn want just like
anybody else, and there is some point to that - I mean, somewhere
there's an innocent baby suffering because of the rubber factory that
made my bicycle tires, so who am I to look down on SUV owners?  On the
other hand, SUV owners are at the extreme end of flaunting their
wealth at the expense of others, so why is anyone surprised?

--
Karl Anderson      kra at monkey.org      http://monkey.org/~kra/