[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Cleopatra Von Ludwig rockfish at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 17:00:18 PDT 2005

Jeff et al,

I disagree with the "safety" argument when it comes to SUVs.

http://gladwell.com/2004/2004_01_12_a_suv.html

"Are the best performers the biggest and heaviest vehicles on the
road? Not at all. Among the safest cars are the midsize imports, like
the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord. Or consider the extraordinary
performance of some subcompacts, like the Volkswagen Jetta."

Now, before you go an have a fit over my clearly selective
information, and once again point out that you yourself had been in an
accident that involved the great smashing of your own VW versus the
relatively unscathed SUV, let me point out that one of the arguments
against SUV safety is one of prevention; simply put, it is easier to
avoid an accident in the first place if you're in a car that handles
well. When that 6000 pound Hummer slams into my 1800 pound Honda
Insight, you can come dance on my grave all you want. I just don't
think they should be on the road, period; they make things bad for
everyone.

That being said, I think the way to "legislate" this kind of change
would be to have stricter safety standards, bumper height limitations
(the fact that this one doesn't exist is pretty baffling -- what are
bumpers for, if not to help absorb shock in an accident?), stricter
fuel standards, and of course reclassification of SUVs as passenger
vehicles so they're forced to comply with a lot of these things. For
my safety, if nothing else. :-)

-cleo