[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Apr 11 18:32:12 PDT 2005

The energy used in creating a vehicle probably exceeds the fuel used
during it's lifetime.  I realized a couple years ago when I almost
bought a Prius that the savings in gas for a 100 mile per day commute
were not a significant amount compared to the price of a new vehicle.
If you assume 20 years of use, this may come out differently, but the
Prius' status seemed questionable past warranty.

It may not be reasonable, and may in fact be regressive in several ways,
for roads to be paid for completely by direct taxation.  I would say
that the European system seems far worse for consumers, especially for
the lower 3/4 of the population.

The US road system, especially the Interstate system, very very good.
But you have to remember that a big part of the rationale of the
Interstate system, and why there is a straight mile in ever 5, is that
it was a gigantic military resource.  There's a usable runway every 5
miles nearly everywhere in the US.  What an ingenious military advantage
(or disadvantage if planes get past the border).  Commerce, emergency,
healthcare, etc. all benefit from cheap roads, fuel, etc.  It's quite
possible that the efficiency of the system, compared to alternative
strategies, more than compensates.

Plug-in hybrids via solar seems very interesting.  The whole thing just
needs to be done cheaply.  If you can make the batteries and solar
shingles cheaply enough, everthing else is easy.

We need more research into exo-air bags.  It sure seems like this would
help equalize the giant/mini car problem.

sdw