[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Mon Apr 11 20:00:20 PDT 2005

On 11-Apr-05, at 7:36 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> You probably think we should make all public smoking illegal since
> clearly whiny militant non-smokers are too stupid to avoid those bars
> and other pro-smoking establishments where they're supposedly likely
> to get cancer from that second-hand smoke.

I paid my way thru University by DJing at a night club and used to come
home with cigarette smoke and nicotine staining and permeating my
clothes, my hair, etc.  I was ultimately forced to retire (this was
before the smoking bans took effect) and get a real job because I was
in a constant state of illness (dry hacking cough, sneezing, clogged
sinuses, cauliflower ears) for years... I'm allergic to smoke.  The
next morning after each night of work my clothes from the night before
were unapproachable -- it was as though they had been bathed in carbons
for weeks.  I wasn't too stupid to avoid the bar ... it was my job.  I
have no doubt that had i done it for another five or ten years that I'd
have ended up in the hospital.  This was from a few dozen people
smoking maybe 6 cigarettes each over the course of 5 hours in a 10,000
square foot heavily air-conditioned building.

Walking toward the gym the other day on a calm night I noticed a smoker
a block ahead of me on the opposite side of the road strolling along
hacking a butt.  I sneezed.  I could smell the smoke blowing in my face
from 50 yards away.

I don't think smokers are even remotely aware of the impact they have
on the world around them.  Or maybe they don't care.

-Ian.