[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Apr 11 20:14:28 PDT 2005

On Apr 11, 2005, at 10:00 PM, Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:

> On 11-Apr-05, at 7:36 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
>> You probably think we should make all public smoking illegal since
>> clearly whiny militant non-smokers are too stupid to avoid those bars
>> and other pro-smoking establishments where they're supposedly likely
>> to get cancer from that second-hand smoke.
>
> I paid my way thru University by DJing at a night club and used to
> come home with cigarette smoke and nicotine staining and permeating my
> clothes, my hair, etc.  I was ultimately forced to retire (this was
> before the smoking bans took effect) and get a real job because I was
> in a constant state of illness (dry hacking cough, sneezing, clogged
> sinuses, cauliflower ears) for years... I'm allergic to smoke.  The
> next morning after each night of work my clothes from the night before
> were unapproachable -- it was as though they had been bathed in
> carbons for weeks.  I wasn't too stupid to avoid the bar ... it was my
> job.  I have no doubt that had i done it for another five or ten years
> that I'd have ended up in the hospital.  This was from a few dozen
> people smoking maybe 6 cigarettes each over the course of 5 hours in a
> 10,000 square foot heavily air-conditioned building.
>
> Walking toward the gym the other day on a calm night I noticed a
> smoker a block ahead of me on the opposite side of the road strolling
> along hacking a butt.  I sneezed.  I could smell the smoke blowing in
> my face from 50 yards away.
>
> I don't think smokers are even remotely aware of the impact they have
> on the world around them.  Or maybe they don't care.

Kind of like the new breed of conservatives.  I happen to be allergic
to them.  Being around them gives me a splitting, debilitating
headache.  It drives my blood pressure up.  In fact, given 8 years or
so of their being in power, I might end up in the hospital.  (Mental or
other remains to be seen. ;-)  I think we ought to pass some
legislation to ban conservativism in public places.  And "liberalism"
while we're at it.  And Greenie-Weenie-ism.  And anti-SUV-whinyism.
;-)

Sheesh, Ian.  Bottom line:  nobody *forced* you to take that job.  Take
responsibility for your own choices and let other people live their
lives.  And get real:  occupational exposure to second-hand smoke isn't
going to kill anybody.

If you moved to Austin and suffered periodic cedar fever --- dry
hacking cough, sneezing, clogged sinuses, ear problems (though I
thought "cauliflower ears" were either vegetables or a congenital
deformity) and even, yes, gasp, FEVER --- would you drum up support for
a public vote to ban cedar pollination?  To force all property owners
to uproot their trees?  Etc.?

Really.  Moral busybodies on the left *and* right.

jb

---

When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot
or a right boot is of no consequence.

	-Gary Lloyd