[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Tue Apr 12 00:48:54 PDT 2005

I think you're missing the point Jeff.

What I experienced in a 10,000 square foot night club was about 60-100
people creating a health hazard for the other 900 people in the place
through an act which by their own admission has no social or personal
benefit.  Rather to the contrary, it gives people lung cancer and makes
guys like me physically ill.  It is the very definition of antisocial
behaviour.  On the street corner a single smoker caused me difficulty
from 50 yards away.  Do you think he cared?

Cedar in Austin?  You're comparing a benign force of nature to deviant
behaviour that has been proven, clinically, to cause terminal illness
in humans and other species.  There are plenty of things in this world
we can't control, like brain tumors, but we sure as hell can stop Lung
Cancer.. unfortunately first we need to cure ignorance and that, it
seems, is spreading.

I'm all for there being smokers' bars but I was referring to a time
when I had no other choice.  Every bar, every club, every pub, every
restaurant, every place of business, all of these were for smokers by
default.  If one is particularly talented as a club Disc Jockey (or
waitress, or bartender) one does not have a lot of choices as regards
where their workplace will be; whether it's smoking or non.  I tried to
do it for years and was eventually forced to retire by poor health.
And yeah I got another job, but why should I have to just because <10%
of the guests to a particular establishment want to light a toxic mix
of chemicals, plastic, and tree leaves on fire between their lips?

This fucking sense of entitlement that we Westerners on the left AND
the right carry like a shield -- "It's a free country, I can do what I
want!"  -- is exactly what has caused the failure of Liberalism.  Yes,
you can smoke outdoors.  Yes, you can say anything you want on cable
television.  Yes, you can drive a Hummer H2 50 miles to work every day
at 12MPG all alone.  Yes, you can toss that tin can in the garbage when
there's a recycling bin 30 feet further away.

But should you?  Is it good for the rest of us?

Does there need to be a law against everything that's bad because
people are just too fucking ignorant, selfish, and indignant to have
any consideration for their fellow man?  If so I have a great political
system for you:  Totalitarianism.  Maybe we Westerners are just so
collectively stupid and spoon-fed that we need to see every pillar of
our social structure collapse before we take action against the
underpinning malignancy.

Please, tell me which ... I'm willing to work towards either.  Because
what I've been doing, namely considering the fates of those around me
in balance with my own, clearly isn't bloody-well working.

The original point of this was to critique your allegory between
smoking and SUVs.  They're not the same.  The causal link is not as
strong... the influencers are deeply more complex.  And the
anti-smoking lobby is clearly in the right.  So yeah, call me an
anti-smoking nazi, but we just keep on winning.  Biochemistry is on our
side.

-Ian.