[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Apr 12 02:58:51 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:41:20PM -0400, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Have you ever flown over the Rockies?  There's nothing down there but

No. Some 12.5 % of Germany is covered with structures, half that completely
sealed (cement, concrete, etc).

> rock for hundreds of miles.  I'm aware of a few landfill areas and it
> seems that 5 million US residents create a smallish mountain every 20-50
> years.  Storage space isn't really an issue.  I view recycling purely as

Do you realize that landfills have to be managed? They spew methane, and
leech toxic water into the underlying water table.

> a conservation of resources / energy issue.  Part of the reason that

It's not just a good idea, it's the only way to get into sustainability
country. If we can't pull the tricks biology does daily, we'd all be dead on
the long run.

> most areas don't recycle or only recycle certain things is the cost
> benefit ratio just isn't there.

We're stuck in the old rut which deforestated Iceland and the Mediterranean
"because we'll never run out of trees".
What, me worry?