[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Zee Roe zero at rawbw.com
Tue Apr 12 08:02:20 PDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Jeff Bone wrote:

> IMHO, though --- this is indeed a root cause of all the whining you
> hear about SUVs.  They're a status symbol.  "The People" don't like
> that, 'least not if they can't get one through WIC w/ their food
> stamps.

Dunno why this pushed the wrong button for me --- but it did. I "whine"
about SUVs, I suppose, if a healthy dose of anger counts as whining, just
to let you know where I'm coming from.  I don't like SUV drivers because
they are arrogant(*) --- they somehow think that their 6+ cylinder
engine is a "status symbol," or because their fugly truck is 72 feet long
instead of 70 feet long it's an even bigger... status symbol.  I don't
like them because they are selfish --- your attitude ("I had to get an
SUV for defensive purposes") is unfortunate but entirely understandable,
but if there weren't any SUVs on the road (or, at the very least,
significantly fewer) it wouldn't be a problem; there is a certain sense
of "entitlement" to "safety" "for the children", never mind other
people's children who are clearly unimportant.  I don't like (many of)
them because they are absurdly hypocritical; I often  see SUVs with bumper
stickers like 'Keep Tahoe Blue.' I don't like the
it's-my-money-so-I'll-destroy-the-environment-if-I-want-to attitude,
despite having a strong libertarian streak --- I don't think
libertarianism works in a society populated by people who think that Fox
news is fair and balanced.

Maybe in Texas an SUV is a status symbol. Around here (Wash, DC) it just
means you're from Virginia and will have to drive around for an hour
trying to find street parking.