[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Apr 12 08:16:20 PDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Zee Roe wrote:

> I don't think
> libertarianism works in a society populated by people who think that
> Fox
> news is fair and balanced.

Well, I would tend to agree that's a problem.  But I don't like nanny
government and lefty populism any more than theocratic fascism and
right-wing populism.

> Maybe in Texas an SUV is a status symbol. Around here (Wash, DC) it
> just
> means you're from Virginia and will have to drive around for an hour
> trying to find street parking.

BTW, let me again be clear about something.  I did not intend to imply
that I consider SUVs to be status symbols.  I was merely pointing out
that this was in fact implicit in Karl's own argument ("SUV owners are
at the extreme end of flaunting their wealth at the expense of others")
and --- indeed --- perhaps a root cause for anti-SUV sentiment among
many.  In fact, I would guess that the "SUV = status symbol" equation
is more prevalent among the anti-SUV crowd than among SUV owners, Lexus
and other "luxury" SUV owners excepted.

jb