[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Zee Roe zero at rawbw.com
Tue Apr 12 09:57:44 PDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Zee Roe wrote:
>
> > I don't think
> > libertarianism works in a society populated by people who think that
> > Fox
> > news is fair and balanced.
>
> Well, I would tend to agree that's a problem.  But I don't like nanny
> government and lefty populism any more than theocratic fascism and
> right-wing populism.

Nor I.  I am often asked (when I rant about how broken our system is :) )
what solution I'd propose.  My answers depend on my mood, but none is
really satisfying for me (in practice, as opposed to in theory).  Open to
suggestions.

> BTW, let me again be clear about something.  I did not intend to imply
> that I consider SUVs to be status symbols.  I was merely pointing out
> that this was in fact implicit in Karl's own argument ("SUV owners are
> at the extreme end of flaunting their wealth at the expense of others")
> and --- indeed --- perhaps a root cause for anti-SUV sentiment among
> many.  In fact, I would guess that the "SUV = status symbol" equation
> is more prevalent among the anti-SUV crowd than among SUV owners, Lexus
> and other "luxury" SUV owners excepted.

Probably. Most "typical" SUVs I've seen (the standard-issue big ugly, as
opposed to the gruesome big ugly) don't have, say, a ginormous sound
system or those spinning hubcap things, which are more status symbol-y.
That said, I really /do/ think that the super-extra-large SUVs are
considered status symbols by their drivers. "Hummers" <twitch> are
probably the most egregious example.