[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Apr 12 10:16:09 PDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Matt Jensen wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org>:
>
>> And for the record:  there are other studies --- I'll mention them
>> anecdotally, I'm not citing them as authoritative --- that suggest
>> that
>

> Paralipsis:  Drawing attention to something while claiming to be
> passing over
> it.
>

> (see A Word A Day for March 29, 2005 -
> http://www.wordsmith.org/words/paralipsis.html.  It doesn't apply 100%
> here,
> but it's a damned fine word.)

That is a damn fine, word, and yes, you caught me. ;-)

I beg laziness / apathy;  if I wasn't busy with other things and / or
if I cared more I'd see if I could dig up / resurrect the  mountain of
information I found a few years ago when researching this very
question.  It turns out that it's well studied and (IIRC) the whole
auto emissions thing is a drop of piss in the bucket of overall
contributors to emissions.  I would hazard that the only reason "we"
think auto emissions are such a bugaboo is the concentration in a few
dense urbs --- and typically ones populated by left-friendly
populations.  I.e., psychological petri dishes ripe for this kind of
memetic infection.

jb