[FoRK] Of timely if tangential relevance...

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Apr 12 10:41:27 PDT 2005

 From the lies-damn-lies-and-statistics department:

	http://www.guardian.co.uk/mobile/article/0,2763,1457400,00.html

Mobile phones get health OK

Press Association
Tuesday April 12, 2005
The Guardian

   A new study has found no link between mobile phone use and the risk
of developing brain tumours, it was reported yesterday.

  Danish researchers questioned 427 people with brain tumours and 822
healthy volunteers about the way they used mobile phones.

  They found no correlation between cancer risk and the number of years
people used mobile phones, their frequency of use, or call length.

  Study leader Dr Christoffer Johansen, from the Danish Cancer Society
in Copenhagen, said: "These results are in line with other large
studies on this question.

  "There have been a few studies that found an increased risk of brain
tumours with cell phone use, but those studies have been criticised for
problems with the study design."

  However, Dr Johansen said: "We won't be able to make any firm
conclusions until we can confirm these results with studies with more
long-term and heavy cellphone users."

  The research was published in the journal Neurology.