[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Tue Apr 12 10:55:15 PDT 2005

On 12-Apr-05, at 8:16 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> BTW, let me again be clear about something.  I did not intend to imply
> that I consider SUVs to be status symbols.  I was merely pointing out
> that this was in fact implicit in Karl's own argument ("SUV owners are
> at the extreme end of flaunting their wealth at the expense of
> others") and --- indeed --- perhaps a root cause for anti-SUV
> sentiment among many.  In fact, I would guess that the "SUV = status
> symbol" equation is more prevalent among the anti-SUV crowd than among
> SUV owners, Lexus and other "luxury" SUV owners excepted.

I believe Karl was speaking in a more global context.  If he wasn't he
should have been.  SUV's are particularly epidemic in big fat rich
America and not so much in the developing world and in Europe.  In this
sense they are exactly a status symbol ("look, we live in a society so
plentiful that it rewards the gross misallocation of resources!").

-Ian.