[FoRK] Smoking

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Apr 12 19:37:17 PDT 2005

Joe says:

> Cigarettes smell like ass but are more toxic.
> If the majority doesn't want to smell toxic ass,
> why shouldn't it have its say?
>
> I don't see what that has to do with any "nanny state".

Okay, we'll take this slow for Joe.

Here's the dilemma.  Let's assume I'm a bar owner.  Let's say the
*majority* of my revenue in fact comes from customers that like to
smoke.  Let's assume that when smoking, they stay longer and drink
more.  Let's assume I don't have a problem with it, and let's assume
that none of my employees do, either.

Should I be prevented from catering to whatever clientele I want?

If the answer is "yes" for populist reasons, then it's mere tyranny of
the majority.

If the answer is "yes" for spurious paternalistic "public health"
reasons, then it's nanny statism.

If the answer is "no" then I don't have a problem --- the market
decides.

jb