[FoRK] Smoking, etc.

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Wed Apr 13 02:43:53 PDT 2005

Jeff, as often happens you've stopped arguing and started dancing.
Messages full of sound and fury, as Macbeth said, signifying nothing.
So this is my last word(s) on the issue.  Feel free to get your digs in
on your reply -- I'm sure the readers of FoRK have tuned out by now but
I am breathless with anticipation.

On 12-Apr-05, at 4:30 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> You're building your rhetorical house on sand, here.  "Community."
> "Society."  "Standards."  "Deviants."  Sheesh.

I thought it was the English language.

> Really, nice go at the Polemics 101 term paper.  Let me know when
> you're ready to register for the second semester. ;-)

Useless bits.

> One might say "overly-sensitive-nose-in-the-air..."

NACK

>> here and you just launched yourself into the stratosphere with
>> Richard Branson.
>
> Good company...

Don't hold your breath (literally).  He doesn't enjoy smokers too much
either.

> You haven't been paying attention.

I don't think that a jury in the world wouldn't forgive me that
particular indiscretion, Jeff.

> It might if you were a Reich-winger.

I'm uh... not.  Was there a point there somewhere?

> More to the point:  you could make the case that AIDS is a public
> health menace, and that all HIV-infected persons --- and possibly all
> homosexuals, IV drug users, hemophiliacs, Haitians, sex industry
> workers, and so forth should be chemically neutered in order to
> mitigate the risk of their transmitting their infection sexually.
> After all, public health concerns trump individual behavioral
> freedoms, right?  People can't *really* be trusted with their own
> sexual responsibility, can they?  And after all, we're talking about
> DEVIANTS here, right?  CLOSE THE BATH HOUSES!  OPEN THE CONCENTRATION
> CAMPS!  ROUND UP THE DEVIANTS, THE PERVERTS, THE DEGENERATES!  REMOVE
> THOSE SICK, TWISTED, DIRTY, FILTHY SOURCES OF DISEASE FROM POLITE
> SOCIETY!  THEY ARE RUINING OUR GREAT NATION AND IMPERILING OUR
> CHILDREN!  (Sarcasm!  BTW, how do you like my Michael Savage
> impersonation?)

I don't think that there are many people with AIDS who contracted the
disease with any degree of certainty that the act they were performing
(sex, drugs, rock & roll) would lead directly to the illness.  Smokers,
on the other hand, know full well the consequences of their actions
every time they light up... even to others.

> Look, the bottom line is this:  intolerance is UGLY, no matter what
> flavor.  Ian your position, sadly, is UGLY.  And being intolerant in
> various pet issues while decrying intolerance elsewhere is
> hypocritical.  The left and the right are no different in being
> hypocritical, merely in their choice of hypocrisies.

Oh I'm practised at tolerating you, Jeff.  Just not your smoke plume.

-Ian.