[FoRK] Smoking, etc.

Damien Morton fork at bitfurnace.com
Wed Apr 13 03:31:50 PDT 2005

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to this discussion.

Ive smoked for 20 years. I started when I was 18. It was an easy and
foolish decision to start smoking, but it is very very difficult to
stop, and its taking its toll on my health at 40 as it never has before.

I think that, in 50-100 years or so, we will look back on the smoking
epidemic of the 20th century as we now look back on the opium wars of
the 19th century.

I also think of the tobacco pushers as guilty of a greater crime than
the opium pushers ever were. Opium may be addictive, but it isnt poisonous.

As far a smoking in bars goes, I find the inconvenience of a smoking ban
to be minimal, and that the justifications they give here in New York
are worthy: that is, that employees should be able to accept work
without having to accept conditions hazardous to their health. Whatever
the justifications, less smoking around me will make it easier for me to
stop.

A small number of bars are licensed for smoking (cigar bars), and owner
and family operated bars can choose to allow smoking. Its not hard for
someone working in the hospitality industry to avoid those workplaces.

When the smoking ban went into effect here, restauranters and bar owners
complained of a drop in custom. I havent heard any such complaints recently.