[FoRK] Smoking

zuzu sean.zuzu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 11:43:44 PDT 2005

On 4/13/05, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Pie, liquor, and tobacco, oh my.
>
> The problem with trying to throw the blanket of "public
> health" over every health issue is that it obscures the
> differences that should be obvious. Your obesity has
> almost no effect on my health. Your addiction to cigars
> almost as little. Alcohol is more troublesome -- your
> drinking won't hurt my liver, but your driving afterwards
> might kill me. On the other hand, if you're carrying TB,
> that puts at risk every diner in the restaurant where
> you work.

oddly enough, american government health and safety regulations
prevent u.s. residents from receiving immunity with the _TB vaccine_
(albeit, proven only 70% effective, and should your immune system ever
become severely compromised *could* manifest to disease state within
you).

but as individuals' options are reduced in the name of "the public"
by, in actuality, appointed individuals who i had no choosing of
(other than to acknowledge their legitimacy at gunpoint), undesireable
side-effects manifest themselves -- especially in an unknown and
dynamic future.

i also favor market choice.  no one is forcing anyone to go out to a
bar.  if you're that concerned about second hand smoke, stay at home
or find a voluntarily smoke-free bar to patron.  if "the majority"
really do want smoke-free bars, that should be a massive market
opportunity to operate one.  seriously, look at the massive success
with organic / non-gmo premiums in the food industry.

and bring back the egyptian hookah bar on houston st., nyc! :-/
(right next door to 'pomme-pomme' who has the best fritessaus outside
of belgium herself!)

peace,
-z

p.s.  stop legislating against spam, putting dumpy middle-aged guys in
crowded prisons on *my dime*, and just get your MUA a beyesian spam
filter FOR FREE already!