[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

Matt Jensen mattj at newsblip.com
Wed Apr 13 15:57:54 PDT 2005

Quoting Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org>:

> On Apr 13, 2005, at 5:03 PM, Lorin Rivers wrote:
>
> > I think so too, but not because of "supposed" health effects from
> > second-hand smoke but because its yucky.
>
> So you want to make laws to make "yucky" things illegal.
>
> What a banner moment for liberty.  ;-)

You're misconstruing the use of "yucky", aren't you?
Just as Ian misconstrued your use of "Reich" earlier.

Lorin seems to use "yucky" as a shorthand for... things covered by nuisance law,
which far predates environmental laws.  That includes things like someone
burning tires in their back yard, so that the whole town has to smell it; it
has long been illegal to create such a nuisance, even if nobody suspected it
might lead to disease.  The question is whether smoking fits in a similar
category.

(BTW, Robert Kennedy, Jr. argues that we had *stronger* protection under
nuisance law, in many ways, than we do now that environmental law has
legitimated certain acts (e.g., "you can dump *no more* than 100 gallons of X
in the river", whereas before you arguably couldn't dump anything.))

-Matt Jensen
 Seattle