[FoRK] Bush's tanking approval ratings

paul paul at remsset.com
Wed Apr 13 16:00:13 PDT 2005

Once upon a time cedar trees were controlled by wildfire.  Folks came along
at stopped the fires.

According to some really old old-timers I have met, back when they were
kids, say 60 and 70 years ago, you only had cedar in valleys, creekbeds,
arroyos, etc.  Up on the flat ground, you had oaks, grass, houses, and
whatever.  Cedar started spreading about 50 years ago because the wildfires
that happened during summer droughts (that would burn the grass and the
little cedar trees while being small enough to not bother the oaks) were
being put out.  Think of fire as Mom's weedwacker.

Yeah, them old-timers might be full of it but they all tell the same story.
As a bit of proof, drive out 120 miles on I-10 towards Ozona.  You have
grass and a few trees but no cedar unless it is in a ditch.  T'ain't anyone
living out there so wildfires have their way.

Closer to home, the dip on CR330 use to have running water year round just
40 years ago.  And we were not covered with cedar.  Most folks see the dip
as a PITA.  It's really quite near the beginning of Hairston Creek.  Which
runs across the back of my place....

Have you ever burned a pile of cedar trees?  A smallish pile, about the
size of 4 Ford Exploitations parked side by side generates quite a lot of
heat and very high flames.  Enough heat that you are comfortably warm on
New Year's Eve... 60 feet away.

paul
   http://remsset.com

   No American experience is complete without a row of portapotties.