[FoRK] Ashe juniper

Joe Barrera joe at barrera.org
Wed Apr 13 19:17:44 PDT 2005

Russell Turpin wrote:

>  As a tree, it actually has some good features. It is evergreen. It
>  grows without help. Its wood is useful and attractive. The female
>  tree makes pretty blue berries. However, the pollen produced by the
>  male trees is the most potent allergen in the area, causing weeks of
>  something that resembles the flu in those who are susceptible.

Sounds kinda like Ginkos -- gotta be careful what sex you plant.

- Joe

P.S. I've been suffering from massive allergies for weeks...
but there's so much stuff blooming here I have no idea what
in particular I'm suffering from. When I was a kid, in the first
house I lived in, it was privets -- then we moved and the huge
80' deodora cedars in the back were killing me. Then my
allergies seemed to go away (even to cats). But this season,
my body has definitely found something to be allergic to.

BTW does anyone remember a brand of OTC allergy medicine
in the 70's -- the pills were yellow and racetrack-shaped,
the packaging had a picture of a big green field of grass and
wildflowers. I must have eaten 15 lbs of the things as a kid.