[FoRK] US defence budget will equal ROW combined "within 12 months"

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed May 4 12:58:07 PDT 2005

I don't doubt that these activities have had an Imperial effect to some
extent with some countries.  I'm curious how much that was the direct
intent; certainly it seems that South America has had some suspicious
patterns.

Beyond some pain that certain companies and moguls would feel, I don't
believe that the US economy is as dependent on these foreign activities
as indicated below.  Building up massive debt in South America still
means massive investment from countries and individuals.  Certainly
there is some trickle down, but when that debt defaults without bringing
in riches, it isn't really felt here.

Economic pain will some day be good for the US and the world if it gets
us out of the local minima we are in with regard to energy (i.e. oil,
coal, gas vs. wind, solar, hydrogen, nuclear, hybrid).  Do you not think
it is possible to have a .com-like boom in renewable energy technology
or biotech or nanotech or space travel or composite building methods?
The market and/or technology just isn't ready for it and those
industries are so far too easily controlled by "incumbents" of all
types.  The .com boom/bust, with its very beneficial leap forward in
technology, awareness, and access and transfer of wealth from
moduls/foundations to the meritous-middle class, is a creative
destruction model to desire.

I have little patience for worrying about the semi-random ebb and flow
of economics which is driven by opinions, control, manipulation, hubris,
etc.  I'm more interested in leaps in efficiency, technology, scalable
marketing and distribution, tipping points in supply and demand, and
levels of sophistication of the market.  We should all hope that the
world leaps forward in all of these ways, however messy it is and
whatever path it takes.  The main cause of villany is ignorance, whether
it's Russian Al Capones without a proper Elliot Ness, or fundamentalist
religion imprisoning or terrorizing people.

sdw