[FoRK] US defence budget will equal ROW combined "within 12 months"

Damien Morton fork at bitfurnace.com
Wed May 4 16:26:45 PDT 2005

I see it more as an investment in the capability to dominate any future
struggles for resources (primarily, but not only Oil), as huge portions
of the Third world move into the next stage of their industrial
revolutions. An Imperial goal, certainly, but I dont think Imperium is a
notion that fits with the way the world works today, except as a notion
of who is dominating the geopolitical playing field.

This also ties into the shrill anti-nuclear rhetoric coming out the US -
a nuclear armed state is effectively immune from any posturing vis-a-vis
resources. Not that any threat a small nuclear armed state poses isnt so
much a threat to the US directly, but rather on its freedom to act
(threaten, bully, coerce, etc). The small nuclear armed state might use
nukes tactically in a self-defense situation, without necessarily
inviting annihilation. I wouldnt mention the 'rights of nations' but
such a use of nukes could hardly be seen as anything but understandable.

Still, the ability to out-spend the rest of the world combined is an
incredible situation, not to mention the capability of launching a
world-destroying volley of nuclear missiles.

If this were a game, all the smaller powers would be meeting behind
closed doors deciding on what their strategy was going to be.

As far as manifect destiny goes, the US is not alone is maintaing such a
myth. China, Israel, Japan (once), Germany (once), Britain (once),
Russia (perhaps) and to a lesser extent India, (and a host of smaller
versions thereof, e.g. Serbia), all nuture such xenocidal belief
systems. Theres usually a healthy dose of racism that goes along with
notions of 'specialness' such as manifest destiny. Its an ugly sight
when you run up against it.

What did I read the other day. An Iraqi parlimentarian was stopped at a
US checkpoint, searched and roughed up. His interpreter tells the
soldiers that the guy was a member of parliament, but the soldiers
merely replies "to hell with you - we're americans". Nice.

http://www.juancole.com/2005/04/20-killed-42-wounded-us-troops.html