[FoRK] US defence budget will equal ROW combined "within 12 months"

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Thu May 5 13:12:37 PDT 2005

As a marketer I know that there are two things in this world:

	- Those things that we all /could/ do
	- Those things that we could do, practically

You could trim your lawn with a pair of scissors, but I'm betting you
won't.  We tend only to do those things that we can do practically.

It's pretty impractical to sell items on eBay if you're not in one of
the countries serviced by PayPal.  I've bought things overseas and lost
a lot of money doing it, so my lesson as a buyer (Caveat Emptor) is to
use PayPal exclusively ... if they won't take my PayPal payment forget
it.  So a merchant in Botswana sadly does not have access to me and a
lot of other eBayers.

But moreover, and to the point:  most people in third world countries
don't even have bank accounts for the love of god, and you want them to
handle wire transfers, PayPal payments, email, UPS, and such?  Does a
little brown truck swing through every village in Indonesia every day
picking up parcels bound for your house?  You're also forgetting the
small fact that in order to use eBay you need to be able to use a
computer, and have daily access to one.  You also need to speak one of
the few languages supported on eBay (though, in truth, it had better be
English if you want to sell to those rich Americans).

Going through the rigmarole you've described requires time, money, and
expertise.  Those three (certainly the latter two) are in short supply
in the third world.  Ebay is great for this in theory and I'm sure it
gets good press for them, but I don't see it being used practically in
have-not nations.

The other point I wanted to make is "So what?".

Again you're looking at this from an Amerocentric point of view.  What
is the real benefit to participating in the global (read:  US) economy
for an African tribesman?  Shouldn't he be out hunting to feed his
family, educating his children on the ways of the land, governing the
village with his peers, or something?  I'm sure he'd rather be.  Once
he's in the system, whether it's selling on eBay or going to work at
the local DOW Chemical plant, everything meaningful that he pursued
within his own society is lost.

You live in a nation founded on the self-determination of peoples and
yet you choose to stand in judgment of everyone who effectively chooses
to live a lifestyle that does not contribute to your economy.  These
people may not have books or cars or computers; they may not understand
Thoreau or Shakespeare; but they have managed to live on the same land
for thousands of years without fucking it up with pollution and garbage
and traffic jams.  They have infinitesimally small suicide, drug abuse,
and divorce rates (or at least they did until they came into contact
with us).  And to your "furtherance of knowledge" thesis it is only in
the last 50 years that we, with our computers and telescopes and armies
of physicists, have reconfirmed what the Aztecs and Mayans understood
about the universe at least 1500 years ago.

So yeah, I think they may be on to something.  And even if they are
not, it is the height of arrogance to think that ours is the only path
to success for the species, and to impose that upon unwilling peoples
who are gladly pursuing their own path through life, the universe, and
everything.

Now I'm not selling my Powerbook and moving to Botswana anytime soon.
But you'd better believe I will work in my own small way to defend the
way of life of indigenous peoples around the world, so long as it does
no harm to others.

You live in a nation founded on this principle and yet are oblivious to
the myriad ways in which those who act on your behalf pursue opposite
goals.

-Ian.