[FoRK] [IP] more on Tech: A 'hostile environment' for US natives???? (fwd from dave@farber.net)

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Sun May 8 12:09:42 PDT 2005

That one is funny. Programming has always been a low-paying job except
for the abberation of the last ten years or so in the US, except
for "boutique" programming. I know someone - a good C programmer,
working for a software development house, in a first world country, that
has never made more than 20 k (Canadian). The only way to actually make
a decent living in software has (again except for recent aberrations)
been to move into management, systems analysis, etc.
Think clerical workers, factory labor, construction workers - i.e.
labor. Don't even bother with using the word "professional" - because
"professionals" do one big thing that programmers don't - they have
unions (AMA, State Bar Associations, Accounting Societies) and difficult
accreditation procedures to control the supply and ensure that wages
stay high.
Owen