[FoRK] Does this real estate boom remind you of the dot-com boom?

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Tue May 17 13:41:51 PDT 2005

> > the US real estate market compared to the global situation among other
> > things, I'd say that the US real estate market is more likely to
> > stagnate for an extended period than go bust.  While the scarcity is
>
> How can U.S. economy itself not to go bust over the next 5-10 years?

It is hard to see how the US economy will avoid a serious leveling in
the very near future- even if we weren't actively trying to destroy
our educational system[1], scare away the rest of the world's smart
people[2], and strangle innovation with lawsuits[3]- the rest of the
world is quickly becoming good at the things that America (and to a
lesser extent Western Europe) used to have a monopoly on. What will
there be left in a decade? Biotech and 'having lots of capital to
spend'? That isn't much of a competitive advantage...

Luis

[1] http://photos9.flickr.com/12560931_6246357501_b.jpg
[2] http://www.telecomasia.net/telecomasia/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=152687
[3] http://www.researchoninnovation.org/softpat.pdf