[FoRK] Does this real estate boom remind you of the dot-com boom?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue May 17 14:10:10 PDT 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Do you have numbers for the individual countries, and regions?

A good start is right here:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/11/real_estate/investment_prop/pf_worldhousing/

Much of Asia and Europe are outpacing the US in housing price growth.

> How can U.S. economy itself not to go bust over the next 5-10 years?

It will take significantly longer than 5-10 years.  And the European
economy will easily beat the US to the bottom.  The real problem in the
US is that the government is desperately trying to convert that country
into an economic mirror of the dismal Europeans.

That said, Asia isn't really all that much better -- all the growth is
at the bottom and quickly stalls somewhere in the middle.  Great for
peasants, not so great for most of us.

> It's a market, some sell, some buy. Right now, I would
> cash out, and invest elsewhere.

I've divested myself of most of my physical holdings and material goods,
including real estate.  In many places, it is getting quite difficult to
justify not renting for the financially savvy, and property taxes are
out of control.  If I wanted a physical store of value, I'd buy
something like platinum.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers