[FoRK] Does this real estate boom remind you of the dot-com boom?

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:15:13 PDT 2005

On 5/17/05, Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> wrote:

> Luis Villa writes:
> > What will there be left in a decade? Biotech and 'having lots of capital
> > to spend'? That isn't much of a competitive advantage...
>
> why would biotech stay in the US without a useful set of stem cells to
> work with? anyway -- you forget Intellectual Property -- ie. Hollywood.

Hollywood and the music industry as we know it is going away, IMHO;
Yahoo has set the value of music very, very low, and it is only going
to slip lower. The same thing will happen, though more slowly, to
movies- the number of people who will pay $11 to see a movie in a
theater is only going to continue to decline as more people get bigger
TVs, more cable companies deliver on demand, and a bigger share of
free money goes towards the next-gen consoles (which will have more
expensive games.) And the rest of the world (the only market that will
matter if the American middle class craters) is more than happy to
steal those ideas. More idealistically/naively, I have to believe that
the bankruptcy of original ideas in Hollywood will catch up to them
eventually. :)

[And of course, IP ATM is only another form of 'having lots of
capital'- name a form of IP whose financial benefits don't go to the
small number of very wealthy people who control the companies that
control that IP. The number of musicians, scriptwriters, inventors,
etc. who can actually live off their IP is tiny. That might change
slightly if we disintermediate those industries to a greater degree,
but I can't see the IP industry allowing that to happen until it is
too late and all the creativity is happening elsewhere anyway.]

Luis