[FoRK] Does this real estate boom remind you of the dot-com boom?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue May 17 17:34:33 PDT 2005

meltsner at alum.mit.edu wrote:
> I'll get to see Brazil and Singapore for the first time this July --
> I'll report back on housing prices and opportunities, if there are
> any.

Singapore housing is not cheap and a number of items (e.g. cars and alcohol) are very
steeply taxed, but the environment is first rate.  Not that you need a car all that badly; taxis
are very cheap and the public transportation is superb.  They also are having a small issue
with declining population, and they have been strongly encouraging foreigners to live there.
Cost of living would have a lot to do with how you wanted to live (e.g. if you wanted to live in
the American district), but it would probably be comparable to a US city on average.

I'm not exactly an expert on Singapore, but what I've seen and experienced (which was
explicitly through the filter of "could I live here") has led me to believe that I wouldn't have
any problem living there if it was opportune to do so.  Even with the equatorial weather.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers