[FoRK] Does this real estate boom remind you of the dot-com boom?

Joe Barrera joe at barrera.org
Tue May 17 19:31:06 PDT 2005

BTW, the only reasons I'm stupid enough to live in the SF Bay Area are:

1. Parents live here
2. MSFT gave me so much money I could buy a house outright
3. It's really easy to get jobs here

Regarding 3 -- I know a lot of jobs have been lost here, but there
are still an incredible number of startups here, and it's still really
exciting if you love being in startups, playing jack-of-all-trades
and saving the day every once in a while and basically being valued
as an individual *and* getting well paid *and* getting lots o' options
which might, *might*, be worth something big, which you don't
have to count on but which is really nice gravy if it happens.

I've seriously considered living in remote areas but it really doesn't
seem like there are any jobs for me there, especially anything
exciting and at all well-paying. E.g. I have relatives down near
Lake Elsinore in Southern CA, but I look at monster.com and
the like and there's *nothing* there or anywhere close to there.

- Joe