[FoRK] Does this real estate boom remind you of the dot-com boom?

Zee Roe zero at rawbw.com
Wed May 18 06:54:30 PDT 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Ken Meltsner wrote:

> Australia isn't a cost savings -- Sydney costs more than San Francisco
> or Vancouver from what I've seen, and land ownership is somewhat
> discouraged by the incredibly high tax structure.  It's also a lot
> less dynamic than the American economy, at least according to my
> relatives.

Having lived in both Sydney and SF, you are right... for now. At the time
I moved to Sydney, the exchange rate was A$1/US$0.60 or so, which did, in
fact, make it cheaper.  It's also a very 'young' city, so everything costs
more than anywhere in the rest of the country, even in places which are
just as metropolitan.

I would definitely describe it as more dynamic than the US economy, though
perhaps that's changed in the last year or two.