[FoRK] Fwd: [Processing] download the new beta release!

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:59:26 PDT 2005

On 5/19/05, Michael Silk <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do you want to modify suns distribution? I've been working with
> java for 5 years and never needed to do such a thing ...

Either you really have been living under a software rock, and missed
every single article ever published about Linux, or you're a very calm
troll :) I tend to operate on benefit of the doubt, so...

some rhetorical questions:
* 'Why would I want to modify Solaris?'
* 'Why would I want to modify my text editor?'
* 'Why would I want to modify a web browser?'
* 'Why would I want to modiy any software?'

some rhetorical answers:
* because distributing GPL software that depends on non-GPL software
is in some ways pointless
* because curiosity is what separates us from shrimp
* because on principle one shouldn't use any software whose
maintenance is monopolized by anyone
*  because one shouldn't trust a dying company not to start charging
for Java tomorrow
* because sometimes one just wants to distribute a completely Free
operating system *cough*debian*cough*
* because some people feel that using software they can't modify and
redistribute in a greater community which operates for the greater
good is a moral affront (I don't really fall into this camp, FWIW)

I'm sure Kragen can pick this up at even more length...
Luis (mightily trying to finish his internet policy/law paper)