[FoRK] Fwd: [Processing] download the new beta release!

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Thu May 19 21:07:20 PDT 2005

On 5/19/05, Michael Silk <michaelslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can submit patches/etc to Sun now, can't you? You can review their
> source (for runtime + compiler (seperate download)), and submit a RFE
> or Bug. From what I've seen, it's pretty responsive.

I can't really speak to the current process, but if it is anything
like the openoffice process, it is probably abysmal* :) From a
pragmatic open source perspective, this is still suboptimal- there is
no reason why *my* users should have to suffer through a bug if I can
get it to them. It is worth noting that *particularly* in the Java
world an incompatibility is a bug, so I venture that Apple and most
Linux vendors (and presumably MS now that they claim to play nice with
Java) would only ship a fix if they were certain it would not break
compat.

Luis

* I can go on at length about that one, preferably on another night :)