open source awareness [was Re: [FoRK] Fwd: [Processing] download thenew beta release!)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu May 19 21:09:49 PDT 2005

Luis Villa wrote:
> I really honestly thought even if people in the industry (people who
> can find fork!) disagreed with the notion of Open Source/Free
> Software, they'd all at least heard of the basic concepts driving it.
> Am I really living in that much of a bubble?

I think it is more the case that few people appreciate open source until that one time that it
saves their ass.  Hell, I would put myself in that camp; I've used it for many years but never
really cared that it was open source in practice until I had a recent desperate need to start
rewriting some ubiquitous networking code and protocol libs (inadequate scalability and
performance characteristics).  Open source gave me some baseline examples to work from,
let me make incremental changes, and made the job vastly easier than it would have been if I
had to build them from scratch.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers (who still hasn't publicly published that work yet, despite having permission
to do so).