open source awareness [was Re: [FoRK] Fwd: [Processing] download thenew beta release!)

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Thu May 19 21:17:00 PDT 2005

On 5/20/05, Lucas Gonze <lgonze at panix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> > I think it is more the case that few people appreciate open source until
> > that one time that it saves their ass.
>
> Well, that's fair.  The idea is still hard to swallow until you have
> practical experience with the benefits.
>
> I can't imagine not having experience with the benefits, though.  Is it
> really possible to become a grown developer without having FOSS save your
> ass?

Slightly related question- I've heard a couple assertions in the past
few days that Linux + free software in general are essentially defacto
standards for college hackers these days, but even four years ago
(when I graduated, nearly to the day) it was easier to get people to a
MUG than a LUG. Has it really changed that much (if anyone here is
still in touch with academia...)

Luis