open source awareness [was Re: [FoRK] Fwd: [Processing] download the new beta release!)

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:15:06 PDT 2005

On 5/20/05, Robert Harley <robert.harley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Silk:
> >Uhh ...? Where does this insult come from? Have I met you before? If
> >not, how can you make such a judgement?
>
> Your problem is that you haven't partaken of sufficient koolaid.
> You're meant t pretend to believe that software licensing terms are a
> vital part of "freedom",
> on a par with the rights to life, property and a fair trial combined.
> Then regurgitate the rewritten history of hackerdom to pretend that
> the "free-as-in-air software" (TM) movement planned everything from
> the start and did everything according to plan, in particular the FSF
> invented sliced bread and wrote Linux instead of being a non-entity
> like the LPF until the time was ripe for RMS to ride some coat-tails.
> To rub in the point, go on about the "open source" (TM) movement being
> a non-entity until time was ripe to ride some coat-tails.
> To prove that you are a real jihadi, you must convince some wide-eyed
> know-nothing wannabe (preferably a journalist) of the above and get
> them to repeat the procedure to infect others with the meme.

To quote from an earlier email:
"* because some people feel that using software they can't modify and
redistribute in a greater community which operates for the greater
good is a moral affront (I don't really fall into this camp, FWIW)"

Re-read the last part, and then ponder when and why you started
slipping towards the Beberg end of the happy pool.

Luis