[FoRK] My Wife's CD release

Reza B'Far reza at voicegenesis.com
Fri May 20 19:26:42 PDT 2005

Thanks for the idea Lucas :-)

I often tell my wife "I have this email list with mucho brain power"... Man,
I tell ya, there is nothing like Fork.  I don't know any list that has as
many diversely intelligent people in it.

Anyways, I'm assuming by saying a promotional MP3 you mean I just rip the
entire album and put it up and give out un/pw or something?

The only problem with that is that ripping the entire album in MP3 (or
whatever digital format you can put up on the web) format and putting it up
is counter to trying to sell it.

The other thing is that it may be actually a good idea to rip a couple of
the songs in their entirety and put them up for free... She didn't write
most of the songs so there is a complicated royalty thing with the
composers... The one that she composed doesn't carry that problem... there
are a couple of others that are hopefully out of the royalty period...

Being married to a professional musician, I see some fundamental problems
with MP3's as a medium though SO LONG AS the distributor is taking all the
money (Sony, Virgin, etc.).  There are really no viable channels for the
artists to go directly to the consumer.  Yahoo's launchcast is the only
thing we've found that's even remotely acceptable.  The cycle of getting
stuff through the commercial MP3 services takes a distribution system
(publisher).

In order to distribute your music, as an artist, regardless of how good you
are (not to brag or anything, but my wife has a masters in Piano from
Julliard and the other two people in the trio are from Julliard and Moscow
conservatory so they got credentials, she has studied with Morten
Loridsen -- probably the best known American composer today, etc. etc.), you
really need to sell your sole to the devil (distributors).  Have you guys
seen these cheezy DVD's at Fry's where they dress up 3-4 female violinists
in skimpy outfits and they play some strange techno'd concoction of pop
based on classical... well, that's what distributors do to Classical
Musicians.  There are a bunch of groups now that do this: they are not
really selling music, they sell something else... whatever you want to call
it.  Now, I'm not one to be stuck up about "artistic integrity"... in fact,
my wife and I criticize lots of musicians for being so rigid when it comes
to this "artistic integrity" and not being flexible enough to adapt to the
consumers, but... you get my point...

The problem is exasperated by the fact that Classical/Jazz is a smaller
market than pop/rock. But that's really not the main problem.  The main
problem is that there is this totally useless distribution layer in between
that controls everything... and to a degree controls musical/artistic tastes
through a feedback mechanism.  What's ideal is to try to circumvent it and
create a direct connection between the artist and the listener.

Anyways, sorry about the long rant, I digressed...Being that you're a
multimedia Guru, what are your thoughts in general?  How does an artist
avoid the distribution system, make reasonable amount of money (say 10-50
cents per song download -- I don't really know what number makes sense...
but I'm sure one could calculate for different genre's depending on
production costs, etc), get the music to the audience, and then get
unadulterated feedback from the audience?  The hard copy (CD) give a little
artificial control (for at least right now)...

I'm very much looking forward to getting feedback from you folks :-)  I know
lots of you must have thoughts on this.

Reza