[FoRK] "A Love Affair With S.U.V.'s Begins to Cool"

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun May 22 10:04:07 PDT 2005

The little French rental car I had in the Nice area, and in the
mountains during their rare snow there in January, was a strange little
beast.  It was ok if you kept the RPMs up, but it had a tiny fraction of
the horsepower I'm used to.  The car was light, but it was still tough
powering up super steep moutain village driveways.  I was very close to
sliding back into a stone wall at the house I was staying at.  I'm
afraid I may have worn half the clutch away on the little go cart.

It seemed kind of bizarre how dangerous the roads were there.  They have
very little sense of safety in road design, retaining barriers, or other
safety measures.

sdw