[FoRK] Who is the anti-Google?

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Mon May 23 11:15:56 PDT 2005

Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

>I don't know about anti-google, but I can tell you about the
>un-google: http://blog.teledyn.com/node/2289

Ah, thanks, I had thought that my query was lost in the FoRK stream; yet
another neglected piece of flotsam jetsam in the electronic noise of
widely distributed mailing list exchanges.

In the meantime, I have become reacquainted with meta-search engines
such as metacrawler.com, dogpile.com and
momma.com. If you are willing to load a javascript powered site,
kartoo.com has an interesting interface that shows the intertwingling of
pages as well as other (non-search) keywords that they share.
Pre-google, my favorite search engine was metacrawler but I have used it
too little in recent years. . . it is nice to see that they haven't gone
away. The meta-search approach is intriguing and ripe for new methods of
ranking, etc. to be developed.

Personally, I find it compelling simply because it prevents breaks
Googles' practice of logging IP addresses associated with searches.  :-)

Regards,
Elias