[FoRK] SUVs are the solution

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed May 25 10:51:58 PDT 2005

No, no real wake turbulence luckily.  450Kn turbulence would be nasty in
a 172.

The prerequisites for personal air travel are:
  o Full-time computer guidance and autopilot and/or autopilot bounding
(fly all you want, within the limits set by an intelligent autopilot)
  o Multiple (3+) engines where you can maintain level flight and land
under power with at least 2 engines out (one of the proposed designs on
Popular Mechanic had this design with 4 engines)

It probably will require mini-turbines with spares or something
similar.  It would be good to study road construction, material,
disturbance of wildlife, maintenance, etc. vs. air travel, fuel, safety,
and maintenance.  I was surprised how the fuel to fly a 1000 load 500
miles isn't all that different from driving the equivalent distance.  If
you factor in the more direct route, time savings, and high efficiency
of newer planes, it is a competitive option, in the long run.

sdw