[FoRK] GQOTD: Any Morse keys set up as computer keyboards?

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed May 25 19:43:48 PDT 2005

Spent a bit of time last time year researching alternative text input
devices for various personal reasons.  The idea of Morse input
occurred to me, but IMHO there's a subtle but significant difference
in thought process that occurs when serially generating characters
via multiple actions vs. what occurs when you type on a keyboard.  I
have a hard time explaining this but it seems to me that, at least
for me, typing occurs at the level of words and phrases (or even
larger / more abstract units of thought) rather than serially,
whereas (hand) writing and presumably Morse occur at the character
level and are very serial in nature.  For Morse that could just be
lack of familiarity / muscle memory, but I spent the first many years
of my life writing --- and even when I was learning to type (and
clearly not as comfortable with it) it seemed that there was a
qualitative difference.

Digging in a bit...  Morse and writing share the following
characteristic:  several distinct muscle movements are required to
generate each character.  On the other hand (no pun intended) typing
involves one or two simultaneous and highly isomorphic muscle
movements.  I've also looked at chording input mechanisms and am not
a big fan.  For those kinds of devices the muscle motions required to
form each character, while simultaneous rather than serial like
Morse, are highly differentiated and each involve several different
muscle actions by rather more muscles.

My hypothesis is that the muscle motion required to type is more
naturally handled "lower down" in the cognitive stack, freeing the
upper layers to focus on the more abstract tasks of composition.
Further, I suggest that this is an inherent characteristic of typing-
like systems vs. writing, Morse-like, chorded, or --- yes --- even
speech systems.  I.e., while we can argue the merits of different
keyboard layouts and systems, there's something rather optimal about
typing as a text input method that is *not* merely a function of
familiarity and training.

--

What I've really been looking for --- no jokes, please ;-) --- is a
one-handed keyboard that leverages traditional typing as much as

I did find such a device;  haven't got around to trying it out yet,
but it looks very interesting:

     http://www.frogpad.com/

$0.02,

jb