[FoRK] Kudos for Jeff Hawkins' _On Intelligence_

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed May 25 20:04:55 PDT 2005

So I've been wrong about Jeff Hawkins three times.

Active Paper and Palm were about the same size back in '93 / '94.  We
viewed them as a potential "competitor" in what we believed would be
a rich emerging market for 3rd-party PDA software.  I met Jeff and
the Palm team a few times over the course of a couple of years and,
well, misjudged him and his business several times.

Strike One:  "Nobody's going to learn a *new alphabet* just to get
freakin' text into their PDAs."  ;-)  Four years later I'm entering
text into my Palm Pilot at nearly 30 words a minute.  Doh!

Strike Two:  "Those dolts, off quixotically writing their own
platform.  How the hell are they going to compete with the all-star
cast of General Magic's partners and licensees?  Nope, we're going to
fill in the huge missing piece (Internet connectivity and apps) for
Magic Cap and make a fortune while those guys tank."  Two years later
we'd made a nice up-front payment licensing our stuff to General
Magic, but Magic Cap had tanked and our huge back-end never
materialized.  And I was in line at Demo to sign up for one of the
first Palm Pilots.

Strike Three's a bit more subtle.

I knew of (and perhaps had even discussed briefly) Jeff Hawkins
fascination with neuroscience.  I considered it to be a fascinating
but rather pointless avocation rather than a serious calling.  He was
an engineer / entrepreneur, after all --- *not* a real scientist.  He
surely wasn't going to contribute anything meaningful so far afield
of his expertise, and particularly not while trying to rule the PDA
world.

--

Serious kudos for _On Intelligence_.  A bit pop / tech-light,  but a
great glimpse into what may be one of the most important insights of

While some of the details may be wrong, the hypotheses presented in
this book just *feel* generally right.  It's simple, consistent,
coherent, and maps fairly well to observation.  And --- while this is
a very apples / oranges sort of thing --- it fits well with my own
recent experiences with neurally-inspired software architectures,
learning systems, and so forth.

If you have any interest at all in the human brain and the phenomenon
of intelligence, read this book.

$0.02,

jb