[FoRK] The Shift...

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu May 26 14:45:08 PDT 2005

Jim says:

> So, if when taking an action we find that we are not totally free from
> hypocrisy, then we should not act?

BTW, Jim, belated congrats. :-)

In general I think acting in the presence of obvious hypocrisy is a
bad idea, particularly when it's so COMPLETELY BLATANT and even
cynical, calculated.

> The slave-holding founding fathers of the US were a bunch of
> hypocrites, no?
> I'm glad they didn't let that stop them from issuing the
> Declaration of
> Independence.

This is a fascinating question.  Were they knowingly hypocrites?  I'm
not sure.  The answer would rest in their assumptions.  When they say
"all men are created equal" yet explicitly treat women and people of
other ethnicities as inferior, does that imply that they were being
hypocritical, or that they were imprecise in their language, or that
their assumptions did not permit them to view women and other
ethnicities as "men" in the same sense?

I don't know the answer to that.

But this is a red herring anyway;  it is in no way comparable to the
media manipulation and populist pogrom attending the smoking
prohibition campaign.

jb