[FoRK] Physics from first principles (not smoking / liberty! not brains! ; -)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Thu May 26 21:33:26 PDT 2005

Meant to FoRK this the other day, dunno if anybody else saw it.  I
don't know if I'm totally buying it, but it's an interesting thought
process nonetheless:

     http://www.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0505090

Physics, abstract
physics/0505090

From: Naresh Dadhich [view email]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:00:47 GMT   (14kb)
Why Einstein (Had I been born in 1844!)?

Authors: Naresh Dadhich
Comments: 16 pages, latex
Subj-class: History of Physics

In his monumental discoveries, the driving force for Einstein was, I
believe, consistency of concept and principle rather than conflict
with experiment. In this spirit, I would like to look at the journey
from the classical to the relativistic world as a simple and direct
exercise first in recognition of universal character of universal
entities and then carrying out the universalization. By this process
not only the relativistic world follows most naturally but I would
like to conjecture that if Einstein were born in 1844 (or had I been
born in 1844 and had followed this line of thought as I do now!) it
would have in fact been predicted including existence of a wave with
universal constant velocity. That would have indeed been not only the
greatest but most amazing and remarkable feat of human thought.

Beating further on the same track of principle and concept driven
ideas, we ponder over to see beyond Einstein, and ask the questions:
in how many dimensions does gravity live, how many basic forces are
there in nature and what are the basic building blocks of space-time?

     full paper:  http://www.arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0505090

jb