[FoRK] Re: The Shift...

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Fri May 27 14:13:59 PDT 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Lucas Gonze wrote:

> On Fri, 27 May 2005, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>> So, in which part of this logical chain do I have a fallacy?
>
> The research has not shown danger from second hand smoke on a par with the
> legislation to protect non-smokers from it.  Second hand smoke is not even
> remotely as dangerous as asbestos, yet the two are equally illegal.
>
> You haven't shown that no bars would opt for high-suction air filtration
> systems at every restaurant table.  It's likely nigh unto guaranteed that
> some bars would take this option.

Caveat, in case you didn't realize: I can see compelling reasons to ban
smoking outright, and barring that I can see compelling reasons for the
state to be used against smoking in whatever ways can be arranged.
Smoking is a legitimate public health problem.  I just don't buy that
second hand smoke matters beyond the disgustingness.