[FoRK] The Shift...

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Fri May 27 15:54:57 PDT 2005

Jeff Bone wrote:

> [...] there is a TREND in this country towards completely despicable
> meddlesome behavior on both the right and left;  and that we're
> dangerously lacking consistency in how we deal with these kinds of
> "issues."

Agreed - you'll hear no argument from me on this.

> [...] It wouldn't matter ONE BIT if you conclusively proved that
> smoking  causes lung cancer 100% of the time.  You still have not
> justified  disallowing people to engage in that behavior nor in
> disallowing  people to choose to be around others engaging in that
> behavior.

Uhmm, the issue wrt bans on smoking in public is not whether people are
allowed to choose to endanger themselves by being around other people
who smoke, the issue is whether the people who choose to smoke should be
allowed to force their decision on and, in doing so, endanger others. A
subtle but significant difference. Smoking in public is not a personal
choice, it is something that affects those around you. If not for health
reasons, then simply because it is gross and makes my hair and clothes
smell gross.

Cheers,
Elias